Sunday, June 19, 2011

"Bluebird Oil Painting and The Color Blue" by Barbara Rudolph


"Bluebird"

"The color blue" is found in so many species of "birds".  These "birds" are also some of the most attractive birds seen in North America. So many people love "Bluebirds" and the color "Blue".  I love to paint them too.  I know that many of them are not actually "Blue", but just appear to be "blue" because of the way the light reflects upon the feathers.  I find that very interesting and either way, I still see them as a beautiful "blue" color.

I was trying to think of how many "birds" I could name that are "Blue."  I came up with quite a few: "Indigo Buntings", "Eastern Bluebirds", "Western Bluebirds", "Belted Kingfishers", "Tree Swallow", "Cerulean Warblers", "Blue Grosbeak", "Nuthatch", "Blue Jays", "Mexican Jay", "Mountain Bluebirds", some "Macaws", "Peacocks", "Dove", "Quail", and "Hummingbirds."  I love the iridescent colors on the throat feathers of many of the "hummingbird" species.  I am sure there are many others but I just can't name any more off the top.  I just wish I had a few of them around my own yard.

What does the color "blue" represent?  I did a quick search and found the answer to be:   The sky, infinity, truth, youth, spirituality, and peaceful.  Everything I could find was calming and happy.  Maybe that's why they call the "Bluebird" "The Bluebird of Happiness." What I don't understand is why does one describe a sad feeling as being "Blue"? (That one I cannot explain.)

The oil painting above is a detail of a little "Bluebird" I just finished.  It is actually an "Indigo Bunting."  It is an oil on canvas 7 x 7".   It found a good home and I do hope it will make them very happy too.

You can see more on my website:
website
My blog
Your comments are always welcome.

Barbara Rudolph

No comments: