Friday, September 21, 2012


"His Eye Is On The Sparrow"

This is a little oil painting on canvas I just finished.  It is simple and and features a "common sparrow".   I have been interested in painting "sparrows" lately, enjoying them and watching them.  The "sparrow" is the most widespread wild bird in the world.  Although it is considered common and generic, I find them fascinating.

Even in the Bible, God cares for the simplest forms of life, "His eye is on the sparrow".  A lone sparrow was a symbol of deep loneliness.  "We" (the human species) should understand the lesson in that - even the weak and the poor should be considered just as significant.

Emily Dickinson wrote:

"A SPARROW TOOK A SLICE OF TWIG" Emily Dickinson c. 1872 ======================================== A Sparrow took a Slice of Twig And thought it very nice I think, because his empty Plate Was handed Nature twice-- Invigorated, waded In all the deepest Sky Until his little Figure Was forfeited away--


I am attracted to painting things in black and white lately with a lot of contrast and little color.  I think it helps to focus on the subject, or the message of the painting.  I struggled with the idea of doing this one simply in black and white, but then decided to add some subtle colors in my "sparrow."  It will be for sale at my next show at the "Celebration of Fine Art" in Scottsdale, Arizona, which will open in mid January.  I plan on having more "sparrow paintings" along with all of my other "birds in still life" series.

Barbara Rudolph - Arizona
website
email
blog

No comments: