Wednesday, September 5, 2012

"Tequila and Bougainvillea" by Li Hua Mahalik

Oil on Hardbord, 11.5 x 12

My student, Marian, brought over a bunch of bougainvillea and a Tequila bottle which I'd never see before, to paint. The setting was beautiful. Marian started it very well. But it tempted me to give it a try after the class. The bottle was clear and the bougainvillea's got a hundred blossoms on one stem, and they wilted very fast. To avoid the blah due to the light background and a clear bottle, I added blue for a more painterly effect. As for the busy flowers, I concentrated on a few with light pink to dress up the petals.

 In a still life, especially, we don't really have to paint what we see but what we feel.

***
To purchase my paintings, please
email me or go to Paypal through my web site.
You are also welcome to check out my blog to see other informations 
such as Qiang Huang's workshop in 2013 which I'm organizing.

Thanks for visiting!





No comments: