Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 44, Project 125 Ranch House, plein air paintings BECKY JOY

© 2013 Becky Joy      Day 44, Ranch House    oil    6 inches x 6 inches    $125.

This composition is reminiscent of yesterday's. I've been using the small paintings painted in the studio as a way to experiment, but also trying to find ones that I want to paint larger. What struck me about this scene was the grasses and the fence posts. I may do something similar to this painting, creating more foreground with the fence posts. I'll have to play with this one some more.

After painting this one, I worked on a couple of plein air paintings that have been hanging around the studio. The first one was painting in Zion last fall during the plein air festival. I liked the overall scene, but felt that it just didn't have the wow factor to it. I painted some shadow in the foreground which helped to bring out the background light. I also softened the mountains and clouds on the left side to help bring out the bright yellows on the right side. I think the painting is much more successful now.

fall trees and mountains oil painting
© 2013 Becky Joy     High Desert Dance     oil   11 inches x 14 inches

Next up was a painting that had just literally five strokes on paint added to it. I painted this a couple of years ago in Escalante, Utah. I was attracted to the afternoon light and all the junk in and around this little shed. The pile of light colored "stuff" on the right is where I added a little more light. I wanted the attention there and it needed to be lighter to bring the viewer there.

utah-storage building plein air
© 2013 Becky Joy      Utah Storage    oil     8 inches x 10 inches

Tomorrow I need to get down to some serious painting. I spent too much time working on my facebook page this morning. Unfortunately, I find the computer and photoshop too much fun.

Create Better Paintings Using Foundational Concepts E-Book 


Talk to you tomorrow,

No comments: